Thursday, September 10, 2026

Ground Chicken Tortillas (gyro inspired)- cheap and easy meals

 


Hey, it's me again! 😂 Back with another one of my cheap, easy, use-what-you-have kind of meals. You know by now that I love taking something simple, playing around with it, and seeing what happens. Well, this one turned out so good that I had to share it.

And the best part? It's inexpensive, high in protein, great for meal prep, and you can change the flavors a hundred different ways depending on what you have in the refrigerator.

So, let's make some ground chicken tortillas!

You will need:

 1 lb of ground chicken

4-6 low carb or regular tortillas (my macro calculations were for the low carb one)

lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber

Sauce, ranch, or tzatziki sauce

Greek seasoning

Panko bread crumbs (you can skip these, still very good)

I started with ground chicken and low-carb tortillas, using about 3–4 oz of ground chicken per tortilla. Depending on how thin or thick you spread the chicken, a pound should make around 4–6 tortillas.

Quick tip: Don't have ground chicken? Chicken breast is usually pretty cheap. Cut it into chunks, throw it in your food processor and pulse it until it's ground. There you go — ground chicken, and sometimes cheaper than buying it already ground!

Spread the raw ground chicken right onto one side of the tortilla, going almost all the way to the edges.



Now season it however you like!

For this one, I went Greek-inspired, kind of a gyro flavor. I used the Greek seasoning I had on hand. You could use your favorite Greek or gyro seasoning, or just season it yourself with garlic, oregano, onion, salt and pepper.

Optional little extra: I lightly pressed some panko bread crumbs into the chicken before cooking. You absolutely don't have to do this, but gosh, it gave it a little crusty action that I really liked.

Put the tortilla chicken-side down in a hot skillet and let the chicken cook and brown. Once that side is cooked through and nicely browned, flip it over and let the tortilla side brown and crisp a little.


That's it!

If you're eating it right then, put it straight onto the plate and pile it up with whatever you like. I used lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion.

And ranch.

Yes, ranch! 😂 Tzatziki would be the usual choice with the Greek/gyro flavors, and it would be delicious, but ranch is what I had — and it was GREAT.



And They Reheat!

This may have been my favorite part.

I let the extras cool completely, put parchment paper between them, stacked them flat and put them into the refrigerator.

Today I popped one into the air fryer to warm it back up, added my cold toppings afterward, and it was just as good.

That makes these great for meal prep, lunches, or one of those days when you just want to grab something that's already made.

Basic Macros

Using a 60-calorie low-carb tortilla, before sauce, toppings or optional panko:

With 3 oz ground chicken:
About 180–200 calories
23–25g protein
About 15–20g total carbs, with most coming from fiber in the low-carb tortilla
Approximately 4–7g net carbs

With 4 oz ground chicken:
About 220–240 calories
30–32g protein
Approximately the same carbs as above

Your exact numbers will depend on the ground chicken and tortilla you use, so check your packages if you're tracking closely. Sauce, cheese, panko and toppings can then be added depending on what you use and how much.



Change It Up!

And while I was eating this, I was already thinking about another way to make it.

Italian style!

Season the ground chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook it the exact same way, and while it's still warm, add a little spaghetti or pizza sauce and some shredded mozzarella.

And really, once you have the basic idea down, you could take these in all kinds of directions — taco, buffalo chicken, pizza, Greek — basically whatever sounds good or whatever you already have in the house.

Cheap, easy, high in protein, and something you can make ahead.

That's my kind of meal.

Thanks for checking in with me again. I hope maybe this gives you another idea for putting an inexpensive meal on the table, or even inspires you to come up with your own version.

And as always, feel free to comment, follow along, or just say hi. I love hearing from you.

Remember to be the change, spread kindness, and love to all.

Love,
Louise ❤️



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ground Chicken Tortillas (gyro inspired)- cheap and easy meals

  Hey, it's me again! 😂 Back with another one of my cheap, easy, use-what-you-have kind of meals . You know by now that I love taking s...